With Mother’s Day around the corner, menu planning is underway. However, this year, more than ever before, may be one to make extra special. With thousands of people stuck at home, backyard gatherings are on hold, but that doesn’t mean the celebration needs to wait. With NH and MA BBQ catering, you can give Mom a day she’ll remember. So, while you consider her favorite backyard meals, you may also want to consider pairing a nice bottle of wine.
With an extensive history in accompanying the dining experience, it was not until recent times that wine pairing became a focus. With thousands of online articles on “how-to,” pairing may seem a bit overwhelming at the beginning of the journey. However, here at Celebrations Catering, we know you don’t have time that! So, we’ve created this helpful guideline to provide you with the basics of proper pairing.
Balancing Your Meal
One of the primary elements of pairing concerns the weight of the meal. For example, most seafood dishes are light meals, while many marinated types of meats are considered heavy. Once you determine the weight, the guide below will begin your wine journey:
- Light Whites – Wines with an alcohol content under 12.5%. Examples are: sparkling wines, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, and Champagne
- Medium to Heavy Whites – Wines with an alcohol content between 12.5% and 13.%. Examples may include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and some Rosés.
- Light Reds – Dolcetto and some Pinot Noir
- Medium Reds – Chianti, Merlot, Malbec, Zinfandel
- Heavy Reds – Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Port
Compliment While Contrasting
Once you’ve determined the starting point, it’s time to compliment and contrast.
- Reds pair best with meat dishes
- Whites pair best with seafood and chicken
- Always consider your sauce before the meat when pairing
- Your wine should be sweeter than your meal
- Flavor intensity should be equal
Make this Mother’s Day one she’ll remember with NH or MA BBQ catering from Celebrations Catering. Our team created a Mother’s Day menu for every palette that is sure to hit the spot. Once you decide, it’s time to choose red or white! Not only will we provide you with a mouth-watering meal, but the perfect bottle of wine to complement your meal. Sit back and relax this year while our team does the work!
Contact us to place your order by May 7th (603) 598-5177. Curbside or delivery is available.