These days it seems like anything makes it the National Day Calendar. Even though some of these are silly, we’re pretty excited about tomorrow, February 22nd because it’s Cook a Sweet Potato Day! Sweet potatoes are not only filled with beneficial nutritional value, but they’re diverse and delicious! Whether you have catering in Woburn, MA, coming your way, or you’re planning dinner at-home, be sure to add sweet potato to the menu!
This root vegetable is often pushed aside due to the carb count associated with potatoes in general. However, you may not want to be so quick to dismiss the sweet potato. Rich in antioxidants, sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene. The body coverts beta carotene into vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential to proper heart, lung, kidney, vision, and immune system function. As if this weren’t enough, below is a list of other vitamins and minerals provided by yours truly; the sweet potato.
- Vitamin C. Another antioxidant essential to immune health which is particularly important in the heart of the flu season!
- Potassium. Potentially reducing the risk of heart disease, potassium is crucial in regulating blood pressure.
- Manganese. This trace mineral is essential for the metabolism of amino acids, cholesterol, glucose, and carbohydrates.
- Vitamin B6. Playing an important role in the conversion of food into energy.
- Vitamin E. Yet another antioxidant, vitamin E protects body tissues from free radicals as well as aids in the production of red blood cells.
The fiber game
If your diet requires high-fiber, then the sweet potato is for you. The average medium-sized potato contains nearly 4 grams of fiber. Containing both soluble and insoluble fibers, sweet potatoes may reduce blood sugar spikes by slowing digestion as well as improve overall gut health.
Onto the fun part
Of course, we love food. So let’s get to it! Sweet potatoes are diverse and easily incorporated into any type of meal. From fried to baked, roasted to mashed, the possibilities are truly endless. Here’s a brief list of what you can do with sweet potatoes:
- Sweet potato fries
- Roasted sweet potatoes drizzled with honey and chili powder
- Mashed sweet potatoes topped with your choice of favorite add-ons
- Sweet potato casserole
- Creamy sweet potato soup
- Stuffed sweet potato boats
- Baked sweet potato
- Sweet potato pie
- Sweet potato hash
Now that your culinary juices are flowing be sure to share your favorite sweet potato recipes on our Facebook page! As always, we thank you for your continued support in our success for catering in Woburn, MA and areas in southern NH! Be sure to visit our extensive catering menus online next time you’re planning an event!